Friday, June 09, 2006

high school reunions

Next year will be the 10-year mark for my husband's high school graduation, and the year after will be mine. I really don't have much interest in going to mine (I'd much rather spend the vacation time doing something ... fun), but my husband wants to go to his. Mostly so he can show all the losers he graduated with that he makes twice as much money as they do. And that he married someone outside his gene pool.

He grew up in a small Texas town, of 2500 people. And, apparently, small towns have a tendency to inbreed. And, also, a tendency to make anyone not part of the 'in' group feel very much 'out' - which is the catalyst for my husband wanting to go to his reunion.

The problem with attending his reunion, however, is that no one may bother to plan it. I don't know how many high school classes forego reunions, but it seems to me that entrusting 4 people to plan events 10, 20, 30, and 40 years in the future would mean that a lot of those events just don't happen. Things that were important in high school, really hold no importance 10 years later. And sometimes, people die. You may not know this, but dead people really throw terrible parties.

Even if the blessed event does get planned, my husband fears that he may not be invited. For one, he doesn't live even live in Texas anymore. Also, his family has relocated to Houston, and his mother has remarried and has a different last name. All of these things will make it difficult to track my husband down. For another thing, the senior class president hated my husband, and, in fact, had a small group of close associates. My husband thinks it highly likely that the event will be a small affair, comprised of people who still live nearby (many in their parent's basements), with invitation passed by word of mouth.

Me, I'm hoping the thing doesn't happen. My husband and I both have a limited number of vacation days, and I'd really like to see Scotland next summer. Or Disney World. Or maybe a cruise...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home