Wednesday, April 12, 2006

watch out for the quiet ones

I'm a quiet person. I mean, really quiet. Like, I'm sure there are people I went to high school with, who think I can't talk.

It's not that I don't ever talk. I will most certainly respond to anyone who talks to me, and if I am in need of information, I will willingly seek out and talk to people who are more knowledgeable than myself.

One of the benefits of being quiet, is that people come up with the craziest ideas about you. Some people are under the impression that I'm smart. Not just smart, but crazy smart. They think that because I spend so little time talking, I must be spending an awful lot of time thinking. Which I do, but not about how to improve upon Einsteinian theories. (Wow! Now THAT sounded smart.) I spend most of my day, for example, thinking about how I can't go to Target after work because I'm totally wearing a red polo and khakis. And that I should never have bought a red polo, because I really love Target. Probably more than any healthy person should. But - I really do look good in red. And, well, polos are sort of a staple of the engineer wardrobe. So, it really was inevitable that I would end up with a red polo.

One of the drawbacks of being quiet, is that people come up with the craziest ideas about you. I once had a guy tell me that he thought I seemed like a person who would like Alice in Wonderland. The Disney cartoon. Now, I'm a big Disney cartoon fan. But there are some of those older ones, that I just can't make it through. Like Fantasia. Or Bambi. (Total snore-fest.) Or Alice in Wonderland - it's just weird. And boring. I've probably seen most of it, but definitely not in one sitting.

At work, we've got a blog, where people can post about the projects they're working, and I generally post a quick update a few times a week. Since I've started blogging, several of my coworkers have stopped by my office to express surprise at the fact that I am mildly humorous. I guess, for whatever reason, since all quiet people are smart and like boring 'Classic' Disney cartoons, that it means that we must all be horrifically dull. Which, I have to admit, some of us quiet ones are. But - for the rest of us - give us a chance. We may just surprise you. :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave Y said...

Of course, i've already been over this with J., but i hear you're comment-starved, so it goes here, too. Thing is, I never thought you were particularly quiet. J attributes this (and I have to agree) with the fact that I arrived on a scene where you were already comfortable and among friends [& future spouse!]. So, reading this was an interesting commentary on something I had no idea about.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home